Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Card Shark who stole Draper Mountain’s thunder.

My family took a ride up the mountain to see the new Draper Temple. A very wholesome thing to be doing, yes?
Well on the ride up we felt like the parade of homes had come to us and we need not even get out of our car. Elegant landscaping and decoratively cement cased windows. I preferred admiring the outside compared to going in because seeing the word art out of control may have discredited their unique taste for me. So I pretended the architecture was good enough for me.
“Oh that’s nice.”
“Hm, yea, I like ... “
“Ooo, yea look at that.”


We turned the corner and began entering a new division of money. And upward. Downshifting 2nd gear,.. ok, upward and
"Shazam! Brotha can ya spare a dime?"

The last house which was strategically saved and placed at the farthest point of the street and covered the entire cul-de-sac area. I have no more words to describe to you the constructed labor and design of this house…hotel…palace. Other than,
'Somebody cheated in a poker game.'

And it was my niece, Tabitha.

“I’ll see your nickel and raise you this gum.”

Battling the covetous thoughts we must have been having, we remembered our reason for making the trip. We drove closer to the temple, admired it and I decided that I would put the poker player’s name on the prayer list. And hope that a rather heaping percentage of his winnings went to some kind of charity.
On the way down, after my reconditioning of what is “nice”, I saw the same neighborhoods and same landscapes that I admired on the way up. But the poker player had carpet swiped us all. I looked out the window at the once thought beautiful houses and said,

“Trash. Just trash.”

Who knows, maybe the card shark is a helpless trust-fund baby. 

1 comment:

Rich Sanders said...

I give you six to one odds that that home is now up for foreclosure ... like every other "rich" person in this economy.