Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How One gets to Walk in the Fast Lane

The designated lanes on the BYU track are:
1 & 2 – Sprinters only
3 Joggers
4 walkers
And 5….


Pregoes.

That’s what I learned tonight anyways. Okay , so maybe it wasn’t officially labeled that.
But seeing what I saw tonight, makes a single girl afraid to even step into lane 5 for fear of being magically with child and having no good explanation other than, “I crossed the line.” And THAT stiiiill isn’t gonna help you!
But what’s the difference really in the kind of activity that goes on in lane 4 compared to lane 5. Nothing really, both walking. It’s just another one of those slight reminders that those in lanes 1 through 4 are single. Thank BYU field house.
Oh and strollers are to the right of lane 5. And lane 5 girls talk to lane 6 girls about what to expect when you’re expecting. And lane 3 girls (that was me) listen to their music while dodging the dangers of lanes 1 & 2, wishing you hadn’t worn a t-shirt saying class of ’03 because now lane 5 girl with her class of ‘07 sweats is wondering why I’m not to the right of her with a stroller. 


Do you find the irony in that the slowest paced lanes are actually those who are in “the fast lane”?


4 comments:

Nathan said...

At least you make it to the track. I suppose lane 6 would be on my couch in front of the TV. Acceptance into lane 6 depends on whether or not you have some form of dessert or snack.

Michelle said...

LOVED the comment about the fast lane! i read it during class and almost laughed out loud :)

JJH said...

Thanks for the laugh Hannah!

Rich Sanders said...

All good ... except for the apology at the end. What was up with that? Smatchoo