Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Jokes On You, Boyzzzz!
The Truth About An American Girl in Italy
The true story behind Ruth Orkin’s photo may disappoint some of you. But I think it makes my point in the American Girl in Argentina Post as true now as it was then. (Refer to Friday, November 14th post)

“Jinx” Allen Craig is the woman in this famous shot and was actually a model and friend of Ruth’s. She and Ruth saw the set up and Jinx offered to walk by and be the cat call bait.
What woman wouldn’t love to volunteer to be the damsel in distress whose loveliness creates urban havoc? That poor… smart American Girl. The jokes on you boys. Craig today admits,


“I was enjoying every minute of it. They were Italian and I love Italians.”


Ruth Orkin shot a series of urban lifestyle shots including pictures from her New York City window where she had a view of Central Park. The collection is in the book, A World Through My Window. Isn’t she great?!




Street Embrace and Boy Jumping into Hudson River



Boys Fight Rubbing Noses, White Stoops, Jewish Refugess and Tirza on Sinks


Couple in MG (I want an MG real bad.)

1 comment: