Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It's Time for - This Ain't No Fool's Gold!

But first! Meet the Parents.



1989 Family Photo

My parents are ….Indie, you could say. And have been even before it was popular. But don’t worry, they don't know it's popular so they’re not abandoning it. They’re more like “classy hill billies” in a way. I dunno it’s hard to explain. But ONE of their hobbies that seems to be ever increasing, is scoping auctions, antique shops, and Fleen Myers’ junk yard. This here is Fleen. The nicest guy you’ll meet in East Texas. He be yellin at you as soon as you step out of the car to look at his tables of stuff. “AW you know that’s right!”








(photo taken by Tucker Conley)

I can’t believe some of the amazing Christmas and birthday presents I have received from my parents and I know it came from Fleen’s junk yard. When I open it and I tilt a stare at them and ask,

"Did this come from Fleen’s?”

My Mom, with timid pride will lower her chin down and say,” Yes.”  She reminds me of the old lady in Arsenic and Old Lace when she announces how many lonely souls she has poisoned and sent to heaven. So innocently proud.

My Dad will ask, “Guess how much?” and he’s just anticipating your guess! He wants me to guess really high, like Sacs Fifth Avenue high. Here’s where I can make or break his moment.

“Fifty cents.” I say

“Oh c’mon Hannah, that’s worth more than fifty cents. I paid a buck for it.”

“Whoa.”

But when they find something really good, and I mean really high society- they sell that thang on eBay. "Aw, you know that's right!"Saturday Night Power eBay sellers!

eBay raised their account status to power sellers a year ago and my Dad called to tell me about it three times. So if you would like to know what you can get for a dollar and sell for $1400, I’ve included just a fraction of the many with pictures and prices below. And prepare to be surprised. They know a diamond in the rough when they see one.








$66 automobile carburetor








Jewelry casting machine - sold for $414.00












$25 Darkroom Photographic Timer











Anniversary clock $50





Bought at an auction for $3 and sold to a guy in France for $157












Came in a box of miscellanous junk bought at an auction.



Sold for $1400! A pen. not gold.

6 comments:

Holly said...

oh hannah...i LOVE you!

Kate said...

Your posts just get better and better! I love this one - you paint such a vivid picture (AND it's funny!).

Becca said...

I love your blog, Hannah! I love you, too. :)

Becky said...

Oh, Hannah! Your blog makes me smile, laugh, and think -"Smatchoo?!" haha I especially love this new post because:

1. That family picture brings back so many old memories. I remember we went into your brother's room and he had a huge stop sign and a few other road signs. When I saw those I wanted to decorate my room like that... Hey, maybe he got them at Fleen's.
2. Melissa's bangs are da bomb digity. The big bang hair style was quite popular way back when and Stacy would fix mine like that way too. I felt perdy.
3. I love the fact that your parents buy cheap things at auctions and sell them for some big $$. I like to sell things on ebay for fun too. I'm not quite up to power seller status yet. Maybe on day... That Fleen's place certainly sounds like a gold mine!

Rich Sanders said...

No way! Come on, there's no way...

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

you're parents seem way too cool. love it! by far one of my fave posts.