Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Religious Ebonics

Dodging the sin of a swear word makes me laugh. A Utah talent for sure. But I appreciate people who show their devotion to keeping the good person reputation intact by sparing us certain syllables. It’s kind of like the “Smatchu” word.  Keep it short and to the point. Instead of saying, “Hey I’m a good person but I am about to use some profanity.” We’re able to understand ALLLL of that when we hear someone say,
“You tell them to get their bad A’s the “H” out of here! Cuz I don’t swear!”

You’re right, you didn’t swear. You’re in the clear and St. Peter will still have to let you in the gates. And there we have it. Religious Ebonics. So instead of saying, “What the (blank) is the matter with you?! We can say, “Whata “H” Smatchu!"

1 comment:

Penelope Celeste said...

Yeah... I say "What the H?!" all the time... as well as "Who do they think they are, those bad A's." However, as mentioned in my last comment on your last post, the literal swearing with the blanks filled in and the non-shortened versions have come out a little more naturally upon my arrival in London (or atleast they've wanted to). People even use these delightful words at church... it's quite comical. Ohhh life outside of the Provo bubble...