
Something I learned this summer. I’m standing in line at Seven Peaks, in a one piece swimsuit or maybe my long tankini. Noticing the tall long-legged girls in their “non” one piece swimsuits. That funny little phrase, “modest is hottest” has never felt like such a lie. Just because it rhymes, doesn’t make it true. ‘They do too look good’, I thought. And any boy who denies it, I’ll be suspicious. Don’t patronize me.
Who thought of this anyways? When I think about it, most rhymes are a lie. But since it sounds cute, it sticks and people end up saying it again. Dr. Seuss. The cat in the hat? Never happened. And I’ve never seen green eggs and ham. We’re all victims of rhyming and lying. We’ve been had. You cannot throw ethics or even philosophical ideas into a rhyme. It discredits it quickly when the actual situation has arrived. And it did arrive this summer.
On the other hand, anything I‘d catch wearing less, I’m pretty sure I’d have to throw back. So let it be known, that I DO UNDERSTAND that my retro one piece might not quite cut it standing next to Charlize Theron’s twin. Just know… That I KNOW, that I’m not lookin hotter than you. I wasn’t fooled by the ethical rhyming rule. I’m just still standing here, Five foot two, in my unfortunate one piece swimsuit hoping that I will get an “E” for effort.
Who thought of this anyways? When I think about it, most rhymes are a lie. But since it sounds cute, it sticks and people end up saying it again. Dr. Seuss. The cat in the hat? Never happened. And I’ve never seen green eggs and ham. We’re all victims of rhyming and lying. We’ve been had. You cannot throw ethics or even philosophical ideas into a rhyme. It discredits it quickly when the actual situation has arrived. And it did arrive this summer.
On the other hand, anything I‘d catch wearing less, I’m pretty sure I’d have to throw back. So let it be known, that I DO UNDERSTAND that my retro one piece might not quite cut it standing next to Charlize Theron’s twin. Just know… That I KNOW, that I’m not lookin hotter than you. I wasn’t fooled by the ethical rhyming rule. I’m just still standing here, Five foot two, in my unfortunate one piece swimsuit hoping that I will get an “E” for effort.









8 comments:
i would totally give you an "ee" for extra effort! :)
hehe. ohhhh hannah banana! (i'm a fan of rhyming... is that a problem? ha!)
here's what i have to say about all this... are you ready?
"modest is hottest" IS in fact a lie! which brings me to my next point - do you really want to be "HOT"??? personally, I would rather look damn good n' classy while maintaining modesty.
take pride in looking BEAUTIFUL in your swimsuit (which i have seen you in btw) rather than coming off as something that describes temperature (HOT). it's not really a compliment anyway...
xox
did penny just swear?!?!?! no, it can't be. someone must have taken over her computer. or perhaps london has changed her already... haha
Ohhh Michelle... it's true... I did swear! All in the name of Hannah. hehe. I think I turned into a sinner the moment I stepped off the plane and landed in London. *sigh
"Anything I‘d catch wearing less, I’m pretty sure I’d have to throw back."
Truer words were never spoken. Let me make a blanket apology for my gender right now. We're idiots, and I'm sorry you have to deal with us. Still, I'm glad you all have the patience of Job and that you keep trying.
P.S. I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. I'm the Nathan from work just a few cubicles away.
No, Hannah, You're 5 foot ONE inch. Remember? You are not taller than me, I would never let you get away with that. Sorry to burst your bubble.
rhymes you deny, cause they're always a lie
but wait, something strange, the one above needs to change
because look, it contradicts your very edict
so there must be delusion in your too-fast conclusion
unless nothing is true, in which case - big whoop-a-dee-do
well screw what people think, you're there for the slides!
Post a Comment